This is the ranking of the best James Gunn films according to information from the Rotten Tomatoes area for critics:
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) : average score of 7.8 out of 10 at 333 criti cas.
- The suicide squad ( 2021 ) : mean of 7.5 on 341 reviews.
- Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 ( 2017 ) : average of 7.2 in 422 reviews.
- Slither: The Plague (2006) : mean of 6.9 in 141 reviews.
- Super (2010) : mean of 5.7 on 124 reviews.
We went to Rotten Tomatoes again, but this time for the first ranking of James Gunn’s films according to the votes of its users:
- Guardians of the Galaxy : average score of 4.4 out of 5 with more out of 250,000 votes.
- Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 : mean of 4.1 with more than 100,000 votes.
The suicide squad : mean of 4.1 with more than 2,500 votes.
- Slither : mean of 3.4 with more than 100,000 votes.
- Super: average of 3.3 with more than 5,000 votes.
IMDb moviegoers opinion
On the other hand, these are the data that IMDb also gives us about the opinion of the public about the work of James Gunn:
- Guardians of the Galaxy: average score of 8 out of 10 with 1,090,013 votes.
- Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 : mean of 7.6 with 607,533 votes.
- The Suicide Squad : average of 7.4 with 179,873 votes.
- Super: average of 6.7 with 77,552 votes.
- Slither : average of 6.5 with 78,112 votes.
And, finally, here is the information that Filmaffinity offers us about James Gunn:
- Guardians of the Galaxy: average score of 6.9 out of 10 with 58,904 votes.
- Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 : mean of 6.7 with 35,802 votes.
The suicide squad : average of 6.6 with 7,440 votes.
- Super : average of 6.2 with 7,140 votes.
- Slither : mean of 4.9 with 4,806 votes.
Conclusions about the best and worst of James Gunn
The almost total unanimity between specialized critics and moviegoers who vote online is extremely atypical, and it occurs with the work of James Gunn. Some reader could say that he has only shot five feature films and, if there were more, things would be difficult. But it is enough to make a comparison with the data of other directors in a similar situation, such as Darren Aronofsky or Alejandro González Iñárritu , to check that it is not so easy.
The fact is that both critics and the public of Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb and Filmaffinity consider that Guardians of the Galaxy stands out as the best of the filmmaker American. And the only disagreement is in the worst movie of the same: both film critics and Rotten Tomatoes users point to Super for that dubious honor; and as far as IMDb and Filmaffinity voters go, they lean towards Slither: The Plague .